- 1. President Trump vows to deploy the US military to control the civil disorder on America’s streets
- 2. Earlier, he told his state governors they must “dominate” and control the protests by calling on law enforcement to get “much tougher”
- 3. George Floyd’s death has been declared a homicide following an official post-mortem examination
- 4. Several cities, including Minneapolis, Washington DC and New York, are under curfew on Monday night in order to control the protests
- 5. The fired police officer who has been charged with murdering Floyd will face a court next week
- 6. Governor of Kentucky announces investigation for a man who was killed during protesters and police exchanged gunfire in Louisville
- 7. George Floyd’s brother Terrence has appealed and begged for protesters to find a peaceful way forward
Moments ago, we saw President Trump standing outside a church holding up a bible.
But just before this, armed soldiers were seen chasing out and clearing out peaceful protesters – clearing the way for Trump to walk towards the church.
The church in question is the historic St John’s Episcopal Church – which every US president has to attend since James Madison in 1816. It was lightly damaged in a fire set by rioters the previous evening.
But the region’s bishop – has accused Trump of using the church as a “prop”.
The Right Rev. Mariann Budde told the Washington Post: “I am outraged… was not given even a call that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop, holding a Bible… one that declares that God is love when everything [Trump] has said and done is to enflame violence.
“I don’t want see President Trump speaking for St John’s.”
Leave a Reply