The AFP news agency says ISWAP ambushed a Nigerian military convoy, killing five soldiers and abducting civilians.
He said the military convoy was attacked on Saturday, a day after militants attacked travelers in the area, abducting 35 people, after killing a woman.
Saturday’s attack outside Mafa was the latest in a series of militant attacks over the weekend in the northeastern state of Borno.
Last weekend jihadists abducted 35 travelers on the Damaturu-Maiduguri highway.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers set up a security fence and pulled people out of their vehicles, killing one woman.
Attacks and kidnappings are gaining momentum in northern Nigeria, despite claims by President Muhammadu Buhari’s government that it is winning the war against insurgents.
The most recent and critically-provoked attack on President Buhari’s government was in the Zabarmari area of northeastern Borno State, when Boko Haram militants stormed the area, killing 42 farmers.
A UN source said the group’s victims in Zabarmari numbered more than 100.
Last week, more than 300 boarding school students in the northwestern state of Katsina were abducted by militants, although they were successfully recaptured over the weekend.
Last Saturday, gunmen attempted to abduct 80 Islamic schoolgirls in the town of Mahuta in Katsina State, the birthplace of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari.