Nigeria’s Minister of Defense Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi said the rescue operation for children abducted by gunmen at a Kankara boarding school was “easy” and “within hours”.
The general made the remarks during a condolence visit by the Federal Government delegation to Katsina State Governor Aminu Masari on Sunday under his leadership.
“So far the security officers on the scene have given us information about the situation, what we want is to know the full extent of the incident and hopefully this process will be much easier,” he said.
“In a few hours we will make sure we save these children … without injuring any of them.
“We have information about their hideouts (militants) and their activities. So this operation is very easy for the military and the police. All we need is prayer so that it does not affect others. “
During his address, Governor Masari thanked the delegation and informed them that the abducted children came from all parts of the state and beyond “because it is a boarding school”.
Masari said that as of the time he was speaking, only 333 children were missing out of 839 who were in school.
Nigerians continue to criticize President Muhammadu Buhari for not attending the scene, while on a week-long holiday in his home state, when the terrorists carried out Friday night’s attack.